Are you taking Zantac for reflux (GERD)? It is also known by its generic name, ranitidine. Ranitidine, in all forms, has been recalled by the FDA due to the potential to form carcinogens.

What should you do if you are on ranitidine? Per the FDA, you should stop taking it and throw out any remaining medication.

Contact your physician for another recommendation. For many people, famotidine (Pepcid) would be a good substitute. This is available over the counter, is inexpensive, and is in the same class as ranitidine, but without the concern about carcinogen formation. The best alternative for any particular person may vary – please contact your physician.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>